High Museum Expansion
The High Museum was founded in 1905 and was then expanded by Richard Meier in 1983.
To respond to the fast growth of its art collections and the increasing number of visitors, the museum decided on a new expansion programme, which would almost double the museum’s surface area, up to 312,000 sq ft.
The extension scheme of the High Museum of Art is composed of three new buildings: a main pavilion, a building for special collections, and a building for administrative offices. A public piazza links the different elements of the campus.
The theme of zenithal light is once again pursued through a grid of 1000 circular light scoops atop each building. The north facing skylights fill the gallery spaces with the required amount of light.
Client: High Museum of Art + Woodruff Arts Center
Renzo Piano Building Workshop, architects – M.Carroll, senior partner in charge
in collaboration with Lord, Aeck & Sargent Inc., architects (Atlanta)
Design team: E.Trezzani (associate in charge), S.Ishida (senior partner), S.Colon, D.Patterson, A.Symietz with F.Elmalipinar, G.Longoni, M.Maggi, A.Parigi, R.Sproull, E.Suarez and J.Boon, J.Silvester, S.Tagliacarne, B.Waechter, M.Agnoletto, S.Chavez, D.Hlavacek, R.Supiciche, A.Vrana; M.Ottonello, G.Langasco (CAD Operators); D.Cavagna, F.Cappellini, S.Rossi (models)
Consultants: Ove Arup & Partners + Uzun & Case + Jordan & Skala (structure and services); Arup Acoustics (acoustics); Arup Lighting (lighting); HDR/WLJorden (civil engineering); Jordan Jones & Goulding (landscaping); Bergmeyer Associates (interiors/restaurant); Brand+Allen Architects (interiors/retail)